It was Sir Philip Rose with his energy and money that led to the construction of the church, named after his wife and completed in 1854. It was built on meadow land, given by the first Earl Howe.
The church was designed by David Brandon, a Jewish architect and a medal-winner for his work on the Great Exhibition of 1851. He had made a study of medieval work and the church is mainly in the Decorated style of the early 14th century. The builder was Zachariah Wheeler, whose descendants still live in the village. Chalk flints came from Common Wood, black flints from Clay Street and sand from Tyler’s Green Common.
It has an unusual detached wooden bell-cote, designed by Arthur Vernon and erected in 1899 by Zachariah Wheeler in memory of Sir Philip Rose’s wife. John Betjeman described the interior as “rather striking.”
There is a Rose family vault at the west end of the church. Buried in the churchyard are: Sir Arthur Whitten Brown the first man to fly the Atlantic (with Sir John Alcock) and Elizabeth Russell/von Arnim the novelist.
Copyright: Miles Green